hacked package on server

Erich Dollansky oceanare@pacific.net.sg
Tue Jul 17 02:07:00 GMT 2007

Hi,

Pedro Alves wrote:
> Erich Dollansky wrote:
>>
>> Carlo Florendo wrote:
>>> Brian Mathis wrote:
>>> The OP said:
>>>
>>>  > "Do you want to skip the package?" and has a yes and no button.
>>>  > I read it quickly and pressed no before thinking about it"
>>>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>> So you see, it's a problem of thought.  The UI message *is* very clear.
>>>
>>> One simply needs to think before acting.
>>>
>> the message is clear.
>>
>> The user answers that he wants to install.
>>
>> As I understand this threat, the message is misleading in this case.
>>
>> I noticed this many times with the installer. A person who knows the
>> installer, can give the proper answer. A normal user will answer the
>> question as he understands it using plain English.
>>
>> Do you want to skip the package?
>>
>> No!
>>
>> Why did I start the installer in the first place?
>>
>> To install the package.
>>

> Perhaps the screen should flash, and a loud beep

no, this is not the idea behind.

> The switch from:
>
> "do you want to format your drive?:
>
> +-----+  +-----+
> + yes +  + no  +
> +-----+  +-----+
>
> to:
>
> "do you want to format your drive?:
>
> +--------+  +---------+
> + format +  + cancel  +
> +--------+  +---------+
>
> ... Makes it much easier to understand what the software's up to.

when I start a disk formating program, I understand the question just as
a confirmation.

When I start an installation program, I will also understand simple
questions like this as an confirmation.

But the question appears this time not as a confirmation but as an error
message. Displaying the short message give the normal user even more the
impression that it is just a simple confirmation of what he is intending
to do anyway. So, he answers with his intend in mind.

Erich