[Parallels 3.0, MacOS 10.4.9] Cygwin install probs and how do I subscribe

David Goldsmith David.L.Goldsmith@noaa.gov
Thu Jul 26 20:51:00 GMT 2007

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> David Goldsmith wrote:
>> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>>> Chris just sent me email to tell me that Cygwin made his machine
>>> blue-screen and interrupted the above email.  He needs to reformat
>>> his disk and reinstall.  For this reason, he's taking down the Cygwin
>>> site and ending the project.  It's just not compatible with Windows.
>>> Perhaps it's time for a new project that brings all the great Cygwin
>>> tools to a more compatible platform like Linux.  Anybody interested
>>> in that?
>> This is a joke, right?  (I thought so - and a pretty funny one, I
>> thought - but someone I forwarded it to missed the joke so I just
>> wanted to make sure that I didn't miss that it isn't a joke.)
>

> You're right.  I actually thought about adding smilies or a disclaimer
> at the bottom but then thought that would ruin the humor.  I thought the
> idea of moving Cygwin to Linux would be absurd enough that everyone would
> get it.  But I suppose if you read it quick enough, the absurdity might
> not sink in.  My apologies if anyone else became distraught by my attempt
> at humor.
I actually knew it was a joke when you got to "Cygwin made his machine
blue-screen ... He needs to reformat his disk and reinstall" and then
when you added "he's taking down the Cygwin site and ending the project"
I was even more certain.  How could anyone believe you were serious? ;-)

DG

--
ERD/ORR/NOS/NOAA <http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/emergencyresponse/>