failed to build from source

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Fri Jul 27 19:43:00 GMT 2007

zooko wrote:

> Folks:

Does this really require starting a new thread for every question?

> I did a cvs co of the entire src/ directory, and then did "../src/

You *really* do not want to do that.

> It built a lot of stuff (took 14 minutes), and then ended with this:

It's going to take a lot longer than that (hours) to build all the
source you've checked out.

> -------
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../src/binutils -I. -D_GNU_SOURCE -I. -
> I../../src/binutils -I../bfd -I../../src/binutils/../bfd -I../../src/
> binutils/../include -DLOCALEDIR="\"/c/playground/cygwin/install//
> share/locale\"" -Dbin_dummy_emulation=bin_vanilla_emulation   -W -
> Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Werror -g -O2 -c ../../
> src/binutils/filemode.c
> /bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -W -Wall -Wstrict-
> prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Werror -g -O2   -o size.exe  size.o
> bucomm.o version.o filemode.o ../bfd/libbfd.la ../libiberty/
> libiberty.a -lintl
> libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/libiconv.la' or
> unhandled argument `/usr/lib/libiconv.la'
> make[4]: *** [size.exe] Error 1
> make[4]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/playground/cygwin/build/
> binutils'
> -------

You aren't even building any part of Cygwin here, you're building
binutils, a totally separate project.  You're also going to be building
gdb, insight, tcl, tk, possibly a simulator of some kind, and god knows
what else, before even getting to newlib and then winsup, because that
is how a combined tree works.  I really doubt you want to do all this.

To fix the error, install the missing libraries.  Though it indicates
some kind of configury error that it would try to link against -liconv
if required libs are missing.

Brian