sshd: public key working, but can't get passwords working

Daniel Griscom griscom@suitable.com
Mon Jul 30 13:40:00 GMT 2007

At 8:36 AM -0500 7/30/07, Michael Hipp wrote:
>Daniel Griscom wrote:
>>At 7:32 PM -0500 7/29/07, René Berber wrote:
>>>Back to the original problem: did you use ssh-user-config?  (I guess you did
>>>since you had to copy the public key).
>>
>>No; I'd thought that ssh-user-config was to
>>configure an account that was to be an ssh
>>client (e.g. one within which I'd use ssh to
>>connect to another machine). I copied the
>>public key from another workstation from which
>>I've used ssh public key connections for a
>>number of servers.
>>
>>>What you reported about the log is simple, the
>>>password used is not correct...
>>>it should prompt you 3 times and then close
>>>the connection; or the configuration
>>>does not allow password authentication, let's check this last one:
>>>
>>>In /etc/sshd_config you should have:
>>>
>>>#PasswordAuthentication yes
>>>#PermitEmptyPasswords no
>>>#UsePAM no
>>
>>All three lines are present and commented out (as above).
>
>I thought you were trying to use public/private
>key authentication, not password authentication?

Sorry: public key works, and is great, but I'd
also like the option of password authentication,
and sshd always refuses my password.

>If so, then the first line above needs to be
>uncommented and changed to 'no'.  (Remember to
>keep a session open while you're testing
>changes, and any changes won't become "live"
>until sshd is restarted on the host.)
>
>I think you said you were using authorized_keys2
>as the public key file, try using
>~/authorized_keys (note the missing '2').

Has authorized_keys supplanted authorized_keys2?
(I've always used the latter, and it's working in
this situation, but perhaps I'm accumulating bad
juju...)

Thanks,
Dan

--