scripting and cygwin

Thorsten Kampe thorsten@thorstenkampe.de
Fri Jun 1 09:18:00 GMT 2007

* John (Thu, 31 May 2007 22:05:28 -0400)
> I finished the script I have been working on. Unfortunately,
> this Pee Cee version won't even finish the full data run
> as it crashes with Zone Alarm. Since I have a long term good
> relationship with Zone Alarm, I have to write off cygwin.
>
> And here are the timings I get from my Windoze cygwin machine
> vs. my MacBook Os X are (comparable machines):
>
> Timings on Windoze cygwin:
>
> Foo.txt:
> Elapsed Time: [0 days 0 hours 0 minutes 53 seconds]
> My Expenses:
> Elapsed Time: [0 days 0 hours 4 minutes 19 seconds]
> Y2007.txt:
> Zone Alarm crashes ALWAYS, won't even finish
>
> Timings on Mac OS X:
> Foo.txt:
> Elapsed Time: [0 days 0 hours 0 minutes 3 seconds]
> My Expenses:
> Elapsed Time: [0 days 0 hours 0 minutes 9 seconds]
> Y2007.txt:
> Elapsed Time: [0 days 0 hours 0 minutes 36 seconds]
>
> I am afraid I just have to move all this to my MacBook
> and forget about Windoze/cygwin.

Are you serious? I mean are you really seriously serious about that?

You have shell scripts(?) called Foo.txt?! And you are complaining
that a Cygwin shell script(?) runs slower when Zone Alarm(!!) is
running. And crashing. I mean, sorry. That's silly. Really silly.
Install Zone Alarm on your MAC and the compare the timings. Or the
crashings.

FYI: Zone Alarm is one of the famous applications that make "Cygwin"
sincerely misbehave. So if something doesn't work or crash the first
question is: are you running Zone Alarm or [insert other apps]? If
yes, then uninstall.

Thorsten