directory listing differences

Joseph Michaud jmichaud@sgi.com
Tue Jun 5 16:13:00 GMT 2007

I noticed the following problem because c:\windows\system32\telnet.exe
was one of the files affected...

A directory listing shows different files if I compare the windows
DIR command to the cygwin "ls".  For example, I look in
c:\windows\system32 for two files (tsdiscon.exe and tsecimp.exe)
using both the windows DIR command in a CMD shell and "ls" in
a bash shell.  tsdiscon.exe is missing under cygwin.

> C:\WINDOWS\system32>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32>dir /q tsdiscon.exe tsecimp.exe
>  Volume in drive C has no label.
>  Volume Serial Number is 2857-9183
>
>  Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32
>
> 02/18/2007  05:00 AM            24,064 BUILTIN\Administrators tsdiscon.exe
>
>  Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32
>
> 02/18/2007  05:00 AM            38,400 BUILTIN\Administrators tsecimp.exe
>                2 File(s)         62,464 bytes
>                0 Dir(s)  132,988,616,704 bytes free
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32>

> Administrator@HeadNode /cygdrive/c/windows/system32
> $ ls -al tsdiscon.exe tsecimp.exe
> ls: cannot access tsdiscon.exe: No such file or directory
> -rwxrwx--- 1 Administrators SYSTEM 26624 Feb 18 04:00 tsecimp.exe*
> $

The ACLs for the two files seem to be the same:

> C:\WINDOWS\system32>cacls tsdiscon.exe
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\tsdiscon.exe NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE:R
>                                  NT AUTHORITY\SERVICE:R
>                                  NT AUTHORITY\BATCH:R
>                                  BUILTIN\Administrators:F
>                                  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
>                                  BUILTIN\Administrators:F
>

> C:\WINDOWS\system32>cacls tsecimp.exe
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\tsecimp.exe NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE:R
>                                 NT AUTHORITY\SERVICE:R
>                                 NT AUTHORITY\BATCH:R
>                                 BUILTIN\Administrators:F
>                                 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
>                                 BUILTIN\Administrators:F
>

> C:\WINDOWS\system32>

And here is the id for administrator under cygwin:

> Administrator@HeadNode /cygdrive/c/windows/system32
> $ id
> uid=500(Administrator) gid=513(Domain Users) groups=0(root),513(Domain Users),544(Administrators),554(Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Ac
> cess),545(Users),1002(TelnetClients),10545(mkgroup_l_d)

Any ideas?

Joe