replicating my cygwin install on a different machine

Jerome Fong jfong@successmetricsinc.com
Thu Jun 7 00:15:00 GMT 2007


Sorry, I'm not sure what am I suppose to tar up?

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 06:03:22PM -0500, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
>> On 6/6/07, Jerome Fong  wrote:
>>> Hi There,
>>>
>>> I was wondering if there was a way to save and duplicate my cygwin
>>> installation so I can replicate it on a different machine.  The idea is,
>>> I have scripts and programs developed and tested on my cygwin install.
>>> I want to be able to deploy everything that I am running on my machine.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if the setup.exe will get me what I want since older
>>> versions of packages are not always readily available (dependent on the
>>> server).  Also, I want to be able to provide the operations team with a
>>> zip file or some kind of installation package to replicate on each
>>> server.   The idea is to avoid  new downloads and use what I have until
>>> I need to upgrade.
>> Assuming you use the same drive letters and directory structure, you
>> can just zip up your cygwin data (preferably with something that can
>> maintain file permissions) and dump HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus
> 
> I would not suggest using "zip" as the mechanism for backing up and
> restoring.  As has been noted 10497 times in this mailing list Windows
> ZIP does not properly save the bits needed to recreate things like
> symlinks.
> 
> And, we've also mentioned at least as many times that you DO NOT MANIPULATE
> THE REGISTRY DIRECTLY.  Use "mount -m" to create a .bat file suitable for
> recreating the mount table.
> 
> So, the proper way to do this is to copy cygwin1.dll, tar.exe, mount.exe
> to the other computer, in a temporary directory.  Run the .bat file
> created by mount -m to recreate the mount table and use tar.exe to
> extract the tar ball created.
> 
> cgf
> 


--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list