Java

Shankar Unni shankarunni@netscape.net
Wed Jun 13 01:51:00 GMT 2007

Brian D. McGrew wrote:

> None, I was asking if a standard Sun JDK could be installed on cygwin
> and if so, which one?

Of course it can.  But... (you knew there was a but..)

Sun's JDK is a native windows application, which means Java programs
that it runs won't know how to deal with /cygdrive/c, or any of the
other cygwin mounts like /usr or /.

So if you have shell (bash) scripts that invoke Java programs, and pass
absolute paths (Cygwin paths) to them as arguments, you have to be
careful to invoke "cygpath -m" to convert them to "real" Windows paths
before passing them to the JDK.

A classic example of this style can be seen in Apache Ant's "bin/ant"
bash invocation script, which is "Cygwin-aware".

On the other hand, you can invoke Cygwin tools from within Java (using
Runtime.exec()) with very few problems, because Cygwin does understand
Windows-style paths (though CGF will grumble about them).

PS. Our company's entire product base is written in Java, and we use
Cygwin tools in our build and test environment to drive all of our Java
programs.

The only issues we've ever faced are occasional "line-ending" screwups,
especially when manipulating files under CVS control..  (check  out from
CVS, use Wordpad (grr!) to edit, check back in - oops, bogus ^Ms checked
in to the repository!)