using chere

Lewis Hyatt lhyatt@princeton.edu
Wed Jun 20 20:20:00 GMT 2007

> The difference is that --login -i directs bash eventually to read
> /etc/profile, which adds cygwin dirs to the path. So as Morgan thought,
> this is somehow a PATH issue. However, I added c:\cygwin\bin,
> c:\cygwin\user\X11R6\bin to my Windows path, and the chere still does
> not pop up an xterm. (Note that adding these dirs to the Windows path is
> not an option for me anyway, as it causes me a lot of DLL-hell type
> problems).

OK, one last thing, sorry. I did something wrong with the last test. If
I add c:\cygwin\bin and c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin to the Windows PATH
variable, then chere does work to open up an xterm!

So I guess the only question is: is there any way to avoid this
requirement? It would be helpful for me if I didn't have to add these to
the path. I'm not sure how chere is implemented, but could it just set
these variables before calling the xterm? Thanks again.

-Lewis