getting emacs in cygwin

Wynfield Henman wynfield@gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 09:29:00 GMT 2007

I had that annoyance to, but  I used a shell login script to erase the
offense windows box.
Something like this.  I used zsh, but you should be able to translate
it to bash easily.
It's not elegant, but it gets rid of the windows box.

I forgot which one, but I think the "cnime.exe" or "cmd.exe" is the
windows box that you find annoying.
---- script called from login script.... start
#! /bin/zsh

# A is declared as a null array below:
A=()

# Below I search for offending processes that i don't like..
ps -W | grep "\(conime.exe\|ctfmon.exe\|cmd.exe\)"   >~/tmp-z

# Set array 'A' to offensive processe's #'S or Name's (I forgot)
#...below the process names are extracted .. This is (blush)  hard
coded offsets...
A=(`cut -d" " -f6-9  ~/tmp-z`)
rm ~/tmp-z

if [[ $#A == 0 ]] ; then return 1
else
# below loop to kill all offensive processes found...
 for PID in $A[*]
   do
   kill -f $PID
   done
fi
------------ end
> thanks, the putty stuff works great.  curiously, it still brings up a cygwin
> terminal before it brings up the putty terminal.  i can delete the terminal
> without a problem, but i'd like to keep it from showing up in the first
> place, if possible.
> here's my cygwin.bat file:
> -----------------------------------
>
> i can get emacs to run in a separate window, but not inside the putty
> terminal (which would be really nice sometimes).  my emacs command is just
> the emacs.exe, but i also tried runemacs.exe as the executable, but the
> results were the same.  is there a different executable i should be using?
>
> thanks for the great help! -- lou

I use a cygwin compiled and build version of emacs, the most recent
test version, but it sounds to me like you did not use setup and
download the existing emacs binary from cygwin.  "runemacs.exe" is NOT
cygwin compatible,  ..... or how to say it... IT is build native to
windows.  You need a native cygwin ( operating system compatiable ..
like POSIX supplied by cygwin to get emacs to understand x-windows and
terminals.

Try downloading the emacs binaries that cygwin has and try it.

Ah.. and  run "startx &" to get into an X-windown terminal and then
run emacs....
to get the X-window graphic emacs (from cygwin or built by yourself) running.

Regards,
   Henman