Bash-Scripting: any way to pre-initialize readline's edit buffer with a user-defined string?
Matthew Woehlke
mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 1 15:56:00 GMT 2007
Sven Severus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> a simple (i hope ;->) question for bash scripting experts:
>
> I want to write a script, that interactivly prompts the user
> for a couple of input items. So my bash code looks like
> this: read -er -p"ItemX: " ITEMX
> Most of the items have default values, and I would find it
> very user-friendly, if readline's edit buffer would be pre-
> initialized with this default value, instead of an empty string.
> Then the user just has to hit <return> to enter the default
> value, very comfortable.
>
> Any idea how to achieve this?
> Thanks.
1. This has nothing to do with cygwin. You should be asking on the bash
mailing list.
2. Try:
echo -n "Input [default]: "
read input
[ -z "$input" ] && input=default
...I do it all the time.
--
Matthew
Ngx iqct zgg dxei zodt gf ngxk iqfrl.
--
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list