GDB problem (under cygwin)

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Thu Mar 8 17:39:00 GMT 2007

Raymond Miller wrote:

> No, I don't think that my program has a bug.
> Ok, this is the code of my program (C):
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main ()
> {
> printf("hello");
> return 0;
> }
>
> Another code with the same problem (Segmentation fault)
>
> int main ()
> {
> return 0;
> }
>
> And I could follow writting codes because all have the same problem.

Works fine here:

$ cat bug.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main ()
{
printf("hello");
return 0;
}

$ gcc -g -o bug bug.c

$ gdb --silent ./bug
(gdb) start
Breakpoint 1 at 0x401075: file bug.c, line 4.
Starting program: /tmp/bug.exe
Loaded symbols for /winxp/system32/ntdll.dll
Loaded symbols for /winxp/system32/kernel32.dll
Loaded symbols for /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
Loaded symbols for /winxp/system32/advapi32.dll
Loaded symbols for /winxp/system32/rpcrt4.dll
main () at bug.c:4
4       {
(gdb) c
Continuing.
hello
Program exited normally.
(gdb) quit

> > you haven't given an adequate description of the problem.
>
> Do you say that for my english? (if so, I'm sorry but cannot do more)
> If not, then tell me what I must explain more.

You have to explain *exactly* what you do to experience the bug, not
just say "it gets a segmentation fault".  Copy and paste the exact
commands and output, don't describe.

Brian