Purging Old and Invalid User Names With Spaces

Thu Mar 15 12:19:00 GMT 2007

Keith Mitchell wrote:
> In am running Windows XP SP2. I was having trouble with applications
> running under CygWin because I originally had spaces in my user names. I
> changed all the user names on my system, eliminating all the spaces in
> the user names. I then rebooted the computer just in case. Nothing
> changed. I then deleted my whole CygWin installation and reinstalled
> everything fresh from the web from scratch. Things were still broken in
> the same way!! I checked /etc/passwd file. All the user names were
> wrong. The user names were the same old user names I had in place before
> I changed the names eliminating the spaces. I do not know where CygWin
> found a list of those old and obsolete user names containing spaces, but
> it did find them somewhere. (probably in the registry). And it used them.
>
> My question. How can I purge those old and now invalid user names so
> CygWin uses only the current, correct, and valid user names, user names
> without spaces?

Cygwin gets its information from Windows.  Make sure none of the user
names (local or on any workgroup/domain) that you want to use has spaces
under Windows.  Alternatively, you can go and edit the /etc/passwd file
to change the user names that you want to use.  Don't change SID though.
That's necessary to tie back into Windows.

Holliston, MA 01746