Installing Cron on Windows 2003 Server...

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 16 14:55:00 GMT 2007

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 15 March 2007 22:10, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>
>> Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>>> It's working because we know it's trying to mail you something.
>>> To find out what,  remove MAILTO="" and install a poor man's mailer as
>>> follows. It will write the mail output to /cronmail.txt
>>>
>>> ~: cd /
>>> /: cat > cronmail.sh
>>> cat > /cronmail.txt
>> (NOTE: type CTRL-C after typing the above line)
>
>   Ctrl+D is a better way to close the file actually.  If you mean EOF, why not
> *say* EOF? :-)

...because CTRL-D doesn't work on all platforms, and I was too lazy to
check if it did on Cygwin. :-)

>> ...and shouldn't that be 'cat >> ...' instead of 'cat > ...'?
>
>   Well, the difference would be whether you (or in this case, Kevin) want(s)
> all the 'mails' to get appended to an ever-growing cronmail.txt, or want each
> new 'mail' to overwrite the previous one.  For cron jobs, you often do only
> care about the results from the most recent run.
>
>   Think of it as a very simple form of logfile rotation!

I was thinking if there was more than one job, you never see the logs
from one of them. :-) So I guess the right answer to this is situational.

--
Matthew
"Have you tried that new mixed drink, 'GDR'"?