Using cygwin1.dbg

Fri Mar 16 17:49:00 GMT 2007

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 11:46:21AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> Or should I just build the kernel unstripped using cygwin-1.5.24-2-src,
>> and debug against that?
>
> Corinna has been responsible for the last few cygwin 1.5.2x releases and
> she has a different way of generating a release than mine.  It's
> possible that the .dbg file isn't working right or created correctly.

This seems to be the case.  I finished a build of cygwin-1.5.24-2 (with
CFLAGS="-g -O0") but

  (1) the build process seems automatically to strip the dll, and
produce a detached .dbg file.

  (2) I got the similar behavior using my .dll/.dbg combo as I got with
the "official" pair from 1.5.24-2: popups -- but then insight died on
me.  FWIW, my .dbg file is much smaller than the official one: 350k vs.
9.5M.

Is it even possible anymore to create an "old-style" debugging
cygwin1.dll, with integrated rather than detached debug symbols?

> I'm generating a snapshot now.  If you try that and it doesn't work I
> can look into fixing it.  I can't fix the 1.5.24 dbg problem, however,
> and Corinna isn't available to look into it right now.  So, if the
> snapshot works for you, you might want to just stick with that.  It's
> closer to mainline CVS anyway.

OK, I'll wait for that.  It does not appear that the argz_* stuff in
newlib has had any significant changes in the last year or so, so if I
find the bug in 1.7.0pre it'll apply to 1.5.24-3 as well.

--
Chuck