Accessing remote PC (ssh?)

Fri Mar 16 23:26:00 GMT 2007

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> I can try.  Go to "Start"->"Settings"->"Network Connections".  Click on
>> "Local Area Connecton".  RMB down and choose "Properties".  Look in the
>> box called "This connection uses the following items:".  Make sure you
>> have "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and that it is checked.  Select it and
>> hit the "Properties" button.  In the "General" tab, make sure
>> "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected.  Also check that
>> "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is selected.  Hit the
>> "Advanced"
>> button and the "DNS" tab.  Make sure "Register this connection's
>> addresses
>> in DNS".  If you must, you can enter your router's IP in "DNS server
>> addresses, in order of use:" box, though that shouldn't be required.
>> That should be enough.  If you don't have some of these things, with
>> the exception of the your router's IP address listed as a DNS server,
>> you want to fix all those other things first.
>
> Ok, Larry, I have to ask... does your $50 appliance really have a DNS
> server in it too?

No.  But it will happen someday. ;-)  But your question reminds me that
I forgot to mention that the router should be set up to point to your
ISP's DNS.  But as I recall, I didn't have complete success with name
resolution of local machines until I switched to using static DHCP IPs
and adding the names and IPs to my /etc/host files.  It's really the
best way to go if one's router supports it.

Holliston, MA 01746