Extraneous characters in mutt text manual?

Mark S. Reglewski msrski@sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 23 16:50:00 GMT 2007

Eric Blake wrote:
>> According to Mark S. Reglewski on 3/23/2007 3:20 AM:
>> less /usr/share/doc/mutt-1.4.2.2/manual.txt
>>
>> I get a display like this:
>>   <B7>  ESC[1mset-flag ESC[22m(default: w)
>>
>> Does anyone else observe this, or is this a me-only problem?
>
> I'm guessing that you also upgraded man.  There is a known bad interaction
> between the current default man settings and the PAGER environment
> variable.  A quick search of the list shows this:
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-03/msg00086.html

Thanks Eric for the quick response. I checked the reference you cited,
which is a discussion of bollixed man page display. It's a related
problem, but not quite the same as this situation. If I invoke...

man any_man_page

...display of the man pages is fine. The suggested fix for the chap
whose man page display was hosed -- invoking "less -isrR" -- does clean
up the display of the mutt manual.txt file considerably: the numerous
escape code sequences disappear, leaving only a few formatting codes in
the form <letter digit>. The document becomes humanly readable with the
workaround.

Forgive a naive question from a naive user: should there be any
formatting codes/escape sequences at all to work around in what's
supposed to be a plaintext file? /usr/share/doc/mutt-1.4.2.2/manual.txt
gives this as it's last line: "This document was written in SGML, and
then rendered using the sgml-tools package." Haven't the utilities used
to render the plaintext file from its SGML source left unwanted gunk in
this instance?

Cordially,
Mark