Slow performance following upgrade

Lev Bishop lev.bishop@gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 15:33:00 GMT 2007

On 3/23/07, Zak Johnson wrote:
> Lev Bishop wrote:
> > On 3/23/07, Zak Johnson wrote:
> > >I first blamed XFT, as it manifested itself most obviously when starting
> > >XFT applications;
> >
> > fc-cache helps?
>
> fc-cache fails:
>
>     $ fc-cache
>     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts: failed to write cache
>     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi: failed to write cache
>     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF: failed to write cache
>     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1: failed to write cache
>     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings: failed to write cache
>     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/large: failed to write cache
>     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc: failed to write cache
>     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/util: failed to write cache
>
> The user running fc-cache owns and has write permission on all those
> directories.  strace available at http://nox.cx/cygwin .

With the default fontconfig install, fc-cache tries to put the caches
in /var/cache/fontconfig and ~/.fontconfig. Check you can write and
create files in those directories. If fontconfig is in use at the time
of running font-cache, it has to do some locking of the cache files.
It may be more successful if you run fc-cache while nothing using
fontconfig is running (eg, shut down X and run from a command window).
The --really-force and --verbose options to fc-cache might give more
clues. Or maybe you should look for stale lockfiles or something in
those directories, or you could just try blowing those directories
away completely (rm -rf) and starting over.

Some problem with the fonts cache would certainly explain slow startup
of xft apps.

Lev