bash completion slow

Larry Hall (Cygwin) reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com
Wed Mar 28 22:42:00 GMT 2007


Christopher Wingert wrote:
> Hi Eric,
> 
> Thanks for the reply.
> 
> The triple stat() issue I am talking about is a thread/patch that I read
> from the 2002 timeframe.  I don't think the patch got integrated back tho.
> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2002-05/msg01600.html
> There was another thread that I can't find right now.
> 
> Actually Linux readdir doesn't provide any clues about the file either, it
> returns the dirent structure.
> 
> However, this really opens my eyes as to the problem :
> 
>> operations, the result of which is just discarded).  With directories in
>> particular, part of the slowdown is that stat()'s st_nlink field is
>> populated by counting how many files appear in that sub-directory, even
>> though readline didn't care about that.
> 
> I had the same issue with a tab in /cygdrive/c/ (obviously due to the
> nasty-ness of the Windows directory).  My directory of 300 subdirectories
> has umpteen files in the subdirectories.
> 
> What about turning this subdirectory parsing off by feeding a -1 in
> st_nlink in Cygwin?  How could I propose such a change for cygwin?


The best way is to create a patch and then send it to the cygwin-patches
list.  From there, any debate can and will proceed.


-- 
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 893-9889 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746

_____________________________________________________________________

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
 >>> Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list