popen problems

Jason Tishler jason@tishler.net
Mon May 7 13:27:00 GMT 2007

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 02:57:44PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Dan Armbrust on 5/4/2007 2:49 PM:
> > $ getfacl /bin/sh.exe
> > # file: /bin/sh.exe
> > # owner: mn04swbuild-svc
> > # group: Users
> > user::rwx
> > group::rwx
> > group:SYSTEM:rwx
> > group:Administrators:rwx
> > mask:rwx
> > other:rwx
>
> Odd - no indication of restricted permissions for a non-owner.  Or
> maybe it was just a failure of the bash postinstall script to properly
> update /bin/sh.exe,

I'm not sure if the following is related...

I recently upgraded an old Cygwin installation from the 1.5.18 time
frame to the latest and /etc/postinstall/00bash.sh hung.  I waited a
while and then canceled setup.exe.  After the upgrade, for some reason I
was unable to start bash.  However, other shells would start.  I was
able the "fix" the problem by manually copying /bin/bash.exe to
/bin/sh.exe.  BTW, this is what 00bash.sh was supposed to do, but was
unsuccessful.

> perhaps because you had cygwin processes still running when you
> originally ran setup.exe.

In my case, I verified that all Cygwin process had been stopped.

Jason