DualCores and Current Cygwin problems

Joseph Kowalski jek3@sun.com
Thu May 10 23:01:00 GMT 2007

I think the following sad story should shed a little light on this issue.

I'm attempting to use cygwin to provide the UNIX-like build environment
to build Java SE on a DualCore system.

Relevant configuration details:
    AMD X2 5200+
    Asus M2NPV-VM
    2 Gb ECC memory (std. clocks)

I'm working to improve the documentation for the Java SE build, so I
know *exactly* what's on the system.  The
installations are:

    1) Windows XP, fully updated
    2) Visual Studio .NET Professional (2003)
    3) Microsoft Platform SDK (2004 - *not* R2)
    4) Microsoft DirectX SDK (Summer 2004)
    5) Sun Java 6 SDK (1.6.0_01)
    6) Cygwin (current)

That's it.  No additional software components.  None.

With this configuration, I get random "can not fork: Resource
temporarily unavailable" errors when trying to perform the fairly large
and complex product build.  I also get "dup_proc_pipe" failures, which
are fairly random, but tend to be understandably associated with long
pipes in the build process.

If I add /ONECPU to boot.ini, neatly turning my DualCore system into a
single core system, the failures all magically disappear.

This would tend to indicate that there is a multi-threading issue either
in cygwin or in the underlying Windows XP operating environment.

It hopefully also provides a work-around (abet a somewhat painful one).
It's probably worth trying by all who have been reporting this failure.
If it doesn't eliminate the failure for you, its an indication that
there may be multiple failures involved.

- cheers and good luck (these are hard problems to track down),

- Joseph Kowalski