Speed of Cygwin's cp vs. Windows Explorer

Morgan Gangwere 0.fractalus@gmail.com
Tue May 15 07:34:00 GMT 2007

On 5/14/07, Brian Ford <Brian.Ford__flightsafety.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2007, Bob Heckel wrote:
>
> > Why would using Cygwin's cp to copy a large file from one Windows XP
> > box to another take 30 minutes but take only 10 minutes if I use drag
> > 'n' drop (via Explorer)?
> >
> > I saw mention of speed in other posts but couldn't figure out if there
> > was a solution - could it be buffer sizes or something configurable?
> >
> > I'm in a position of defending the use of Cygwin instead of the manual
> > Windows way of doing things by those not familiar with Unix.  Any
> > hints would be appreciated.
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-12/msg00911.html
>
> --
> Brian Ford
> Lead Realtime Software Engineer
> VITAL - Visual Simulation Systems
> FlightSafety International
> the best safety device in any aircraft is a well-trained crew...
>
> --

it would appear that until we increase the i/o buffer (am i using the
right term?) to do the cp, we run slower than the windows cp

is there a #DEFINE or some thing that we could add a diff for that
adventurous people could use?

--
Morgan gangwere

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.