Adding to a windows zip file without zip.exe

Morgan Gangwere 0.fractalus@gmail.com
Thu May 17 12:26:00 GMT 2007

On 5/16/07, Dave Korn <dave.korn(diespammers)artimi.com> wrote:
> On 16 May 2007 20:33, Chadwick wrote:
>
> > Cygwin is currently installed on over a hundred windows 2003 servers, and is
> > used to do some admin tasks as well as to pull files from the servers on a
> > daily basis via ssh.  One of the files pulled from each server is a windows
> > ZIP file.
> >
> > I want to add an extra file to this ZIP file using a script.  I looked at
> > both DOS batch scripts and cygwin shell scripts but have run into problems
> > because the cygwin installed on these boxes doesnt contain ZIP.exe, and the
> > PKZIP.exe I would used with a batch script is so old it only accepts 8.3
> > filenames.
>
>   Could you pull /both/ the zip and the new file by ssh, and just install and
> use zip.exe on the one machine where you're receiving them, and add the file
> to the zip there?
>

>     cheers,
>       DaveK
> --
> Can't think of a witty .sigline today....
>

> --

i hate to interject, but why not use a binary of 7zip's extractor - it
can run in batch mode and keeps file permissions

(all it needs is 7za.exe and a DLL for the compression algorithms)

I use it like this:
wget http://my_main_server.com/current.tar.gz CURRENT.TGZ
7za (whatever options are needed to EXTRACT to dir "c:\www\docs\") CURRENT.GZ

where CURRENT.TGZ is a daily archive of the site -- even on my windows
machines it keeps the chmod permissions on an upload folder that HAS
to be set rwxrwxrw- (or the PHP fails)

Just a thought... :)

--
Morgan gangwere

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.