AllowUsers Help

mark2 ae31479@hotmail.com
Tue May 22 05:33:00 GMT 2007

Matthew Woehlke-3 wrote:

> mark2 wrote:
>> I just signed up for this forum
>
> This is not a forum. It's a mailing list.
>
>> since it looks like there's quite a bit of
>> useful information on Cygwin here. I have already consulted the Cygwin
>> manual and searched this forum
>> (http://www.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?forum=12165&local=y&query=allowusers)
>> but I haven't been able to find the answer to my question.
>
> Did you try:
> http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?wm=wrd&form=extended&m=all&s=D&ul=%2Fml%2Fcygwin%2F%25&q=AllowUsers
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cygwin+ssh+allowusers+site%3Acygwin.com&btnG=Search
> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=cygwin+ssh+allowusers
>
>> In the directory cygwin/etc/defaults/etc,
>
> "cygwin/etc"? Where is that? Did you mean /etc?
>
>> I added the AllowUsers setting
>> with Notepad in the ssh_config file but nothing happened.
>
> Don't do that. Using Notepad to edit Cygwin config files is likely to
> break things unless you are using text-mode mounts (which themselves can
> break things). You are better off using Cygwin tools, e.g. 'vi'.
>
>> In the cygwin/etc directory, I added the AllowUsers setting.
>
> I guess you mean 'in the file /etc/sshd_config'?
>
>> Since I'm somewhat new to Cygwin, I'm not sure what info is
>> relevant to include as I ask for help. I'm running Cygwin on a Windows XP
>> Home Edition computer. Any help would be great. Thanks!
>
> Start here:
> http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> --
> Matthew
> When in doubt, duct tape!
>

> --

Thanks for the reply, Matthew.

I noticed the use of the word "forum" throughout as I was searching this
website so I thought it was a forum. Sorry.

I will take a look at those links you suggested.

As for the file addresses, I tried to include them as they are listed in
Windows Explorer and as I see them when I look in Cygwin. There is one file
listed at /etc but there are two files listed at /etc/defaults/etc. Sorry
for any confusion.

Thanks for the info!

Mark