password authentication fails in cygwin openssh windows xp pro

Dan Miller dguthriem@gmail.com
Thu May 24 14:37:00 GMT 2007

René Berber wrote:
> Dan Miller wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> C:\Program Files\UVP
>> Inc\;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program
>> Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\Common
>> Files\GTK\2.0\bin;C:\Program Files\Zone
>> Labs\ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier;C:\cygwin\bin
>>
> -------^^^^^^^^^
> Warning Will Robinson, ZoneAlarm could cause problems; also the GTK stuff which
> does have some common dlls with Cygwin but compiled for MingW... but from your
> report none of this seems to be causing the problem.
>
> [snip]
>
>> I created an environment variable named CYGWIN and set its value to
>> ntsec tty
>>

> Not needed.
>

>> ran ssh-host-config and answered yes to all questions including
>> privilege separation
>> When asked for the value of CYGWIN I again typed ntsec tty
>>

> Again, not needed (those are the defaults).
>

>> At this point I can start the sshd service (cygrunsrv -S sshd) but if I
>> try to login (ssh localhost) I get a password prompt and it fails.
>>

> How it fails?
>
> Have you tried `ssh -vvv localhost`?
>
> Do the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files exist? and is your user in the first one?
>

>> So, I made a new user named sshdproc, gave it the administrators
>> password, and put it in the administrators group and gave it the
>> following rights:

>> now I can start the sshd service, it runs as sshdproc, but still when I
>> ssh localhost I get prompted and my password fails
>>

> You didn't solve the first problem and just went looking for more?
>

>> so I ssh-user-config
>>
>> still no joy.....
>>
>> Can someone please give me some advice on where to go from here. I don't
>> know what else to try and I don't know how to troubleshoot why my
>> password is failing to authenticate.
>>

> Just to make sure, the server does ask for the password 3 times? and it rejects
> it (look in the Windows events, if you are not using syslog, sshd leaves a
> message saying it rejected an invalid password, or invalid user).
>
> Your user is local, not a domain user, right?
>
> Post the result of the `ssh -vvv your-user@localhost`, it may show the problem
> in detail.

Rene,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I can't figure out how to get the output of ssh -vvv localhost to a file.
I tried ssh -vvv localhost > file.txt and the file is created but empty.

Dan

Answers to other questions

>>How it fails?
permission denied, please try again x 2
then permission denied, (public key, password).

>>Have you tried `ssh -vvv localhost`?
not until now, will try to post the output if you can tell me how to get it to a file.
>>Do the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files exist? and is your user in the first one?
yes