1.5.21: inetd telnet connections: fork error

René Berber r.berber@computer.org
Fri May 25 11:20:00 GMT 2007

Nick Telepneff wrote:

> I have installed and run the cygwin inetd telnet server and find that
> when more than around 16 users connect via telnet the shells start to
> fail with the following message:
> 16622413 [main] -bash 3868 fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp
> before initialization, retry 0, exit code 0x80, errno 11
> -bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Are these connections starting simultaneously?

> Each session starts a sh.exe, an in.telnetd.exe and one or more
> application processes (though so far we’ve only loaded 2). Each or these
> processes takes between 4Mb and 10Mb memory according to Windows task
> Manager.
>
> We need to be able to run at least 24 telnet connections using an
> average of 3 application processes.
>
> The machine we’re using is a Xeon processor with 4Gb Ram running Windows
> 2000.

Normal Xeon or one of the new 2-core Xeons?

> Can anyone help?

Not at this time, if the answer to my first question is yes then perhaps you are
running into a Windows limitation which AFAIK exists only in XP-SP2; if the
answer to the second question is yes there has been another thread that reports
problems with 2-core processors and possible workarounds.
--
René Berber