password authentication fails in cygwin openssh windows xp pro

Dan Miller dgmiller@u.washington.edu
Fri May 25 14:55:00 GMT 2007

René Berber wrote:
> Dan Miller wrote:
>

>> I can login as the new user  by ssh newuser@localhost. It seems to
>> authenticate and then says connection closed to local host (unlike when
>> I login as user dan) Also, when I try to sftp into the site I can
>> connect as dan but not as newuser.
>>
>> here is ssh -vvv output

>> debug1: Exit status 53
>>

> $ net HELPMSG 53
>
> The network path was not found.
>
> That means "file not found", probably bash (and all of Cygwin) is not in the
> PATH, your first message said that it was but... is it the global PATH? or it
> was only your user's PATH.

Path statement appears fine. I think I'm missing something here. Isn't
it wierd that it is looking in /home/dan for keys and identities when
I'm logging in as the new user "fshd"? I ran mkpasswd and mkgroup to
/etc/passwd and /etc/group and when I ssh localhost -l fshd it seems to
login and authenticate the password but then closes immediately. I'm
wondering if it is looking for the .bash files and not finding them
...ie file not found....and then closing. I copied the .bash files from
skel but that didn't solve the problem.

is this the problem?
debug3: channel 0: close_fds r -1 w -1 e 6 c -1
debug3: fd 1 is not O_NONBLOCK
debug3: fd 2 is not O_NONBLOCK
Connection to localhost closed.

I just want to be able to login to this server as user fshd. fshd is
currently a user in windows, and member of the "users" group

thanks

Dan