file permissions on vista

morgan gangwere 0.fractalus@gmail.com
Mon May 28 23:48:00 GMT 2007

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Arnaud Legout wrote:
>
>> I have the latest version of cygwin installed
>> CYGWIN_NT-6.0 cecile 1.5.24(0.156/4/2) 2007-01-31 10:57 i686 Cygwin
>>
>> When create a file or a folder in vista (using the explorer or a windows
>> application),
>> the file or folder is created without any right (like when a chmod 000
>> is applied).
>>
>> This is a problem when you do a rsync.
>>
>> I can apply a
>> chmod -R u+rwx *
>> on the root folder, but this is not really clean.
>>
>> Is it a known but of cygwin on vista, or is it a consequence
>> of the new security model introduced in vista (that I am not sure I
>> understand).
>> In the later case, is there something to configure in order to solve
>> this issue?
>
> I can't reproduce this.  I right click and create a new Notepad file
> foo.txt, it has the permissions:
>
> $ ls -l foo.txt
> -rwx------+ 1 Administrators None 0 May 28 14:40 foo.txt
>
> brian@vista /c/users/brian
> $ getfacl foo.txt
> # file: foo.txt
> # owner: Administrators
> # group: None
> user::rwx
> user:brian:rwx
> group::---
> group:SYSTEM:rwx
> mask:rwx
> other:---
>
> This looks normal, I see the exact same behavior in Windows XP, except
> the owner is my user instead of the Administrators group, but I think
> there's a policy setting that controls this.
>
> The permissions on a file created with native Windows methods should
> inherit from the parent folder, following standard NTFS rules, so maybe
> you need to look at what the containing folder's permissions are set to.
>
> Brian
>
> --

UAC (User Ass Control) is playing hell with me - i turned it off and no
problems since I rebooted. also, TURN OFF WINDOWS LIVE ONECARE, it is an
axe to Cygwin. Also, Cygwin will vewry often NOT run on Vista Home
because certain things seem to be missing.

1 - Turn Off UAC
2 - Turn Off Live One Care
3 - reboot

thats what I did and it worked.