Wish Setup would accept my Perl

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Mon Nov 5 19:34:00 GMT 2007

Michael Kairys wrote:
> I wish Setup could recognize that I already have a Perl installation...

The two may be compatible at the Perl source level, for the most
part[*], but I doubt they're binary compatible.  A lot of Perl modules
contain parts compiled from C and linked into the interpreter
dynamically at need.

Unless you can mix these modules, I don't think you can expect Cygwin to
consider ActiveState's distribution compatible.  If a Cygwin package
needs Perl, it's fair for setup.exe to demand a Cygwinnish Perl to
support it.  For all setup.exe knows, it's an absolute requirement.

[*] I also doubt they're 100% compatible at the source level, what with
the various extensions each could be enabling that the other doesn't.