Some programs won't run, no error messages

Andy Lager modellera@email.com
Thu Nov 8 14:50:00 GMT 2007

Dear all,

I have an issue with cygwin on my borrowed Windows XP /SP2 laptop. Some program simply won't run, such as latex and emacs, and no error message is displayed. Other programs, for instance xclock and pico, work fine. I've enclosed a commented console printout. I normally use cygwin/X, but as latex doesn't work in the plain cygwin prompt either it does not seem to be an X issue. I've spent a few hours searching for hints and solutions, but the distinct lack of error messages make that so much harder. The only thing I have is the (see below) 'Exit 53' comment when failing to launch emacs in the background, which supposedly means "missing dll". Someone had solved this by installing the libtiff5 package, but I've checked and already have that.

Now, for where I expect the problem actually is. I mentioned I've borrowed this computer, and there is another user installed on it. Apart from that, there has also been a third user on it, which was however removed before the machine was handed to me. I've been told this removed user probably had some programs installed that were at least partially left behind, which has also been a slight problem with other applications. Now, I do have administrator rights, and I've made myself owner of the entire cygwin tree, but this didn't help either. I've also tried uninstalling cygwin completely, as per the instructions on cygwin.com, before reinstalling (obviously with my own user) again, but no change.

In effect, it would seem to me although I cannot be certain, that it is a matter of permissions somewhere. I am however quite at a loss as how to move on from here. I would probably be tempted to just overhaul the system entirely, but with the other user on the computer and a lot of software installations discs that I don't directly have access to, I would very much like to avoid that if at all possible.

Grateful for any assistance. If any additional information would be helpful, let me know and I will do my best to provide it.

Best regards/

A L, Copenhagen

***

Andy@LIFEBOOK-E8010 ~
$ ls                    #no problem.
test.tex

Andy@LIFEBOOK-E8010 ~
$ latex test.tex        #nothing happens. the file test.tex is in fact not a proper tex file either, but no error messages are displayed and no files are created.

Andy@LIFEBOOK-E8010 ~
$ emacs                 #similarly, nothing happens, I simply remain in console.

Andy@LIFEBOOK-E8010 ~
$ emacs&                #with the ampersand added, also nothing, except at the next <CR> I get the Exit 53 code.
[1] 3124

Andy@LIFEBOOK-E8010 ~
$
[1]+  Exit 53                 emacs

Andy@LIFEBOOK-E8010 ~
$ xdvi&                 #xdvi works, asks for a file, and then shuts down fine when cancelled.
[1] 1852

Andy@LIFEBOOK-E8010 ~
$

Andy@LIFEBOOK-E8010 ~