Why do file permissions change after editing a file with vim?

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] BBuchbinder@niaid.nih.gov
Sun Nov 11 22:50:00 GMT 2007

From: Ross Jordan; Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2007 3:00 AM
> When I modify files with cygwin's vim, they become inaccessible.  It
> seems the permissions are getting changed when I save the file.  Any
> idea why this is happening?  This does not happen from a bash shell,
> only when I directly launch vim from a windows cmd.exe window.  See
> below.

I have no idea why.  But it would seem to me that that using the
native Windows version of vim in a cmd.exe shell might possibly avoid
this.  Another thing to try would be to launch vim via a batch file
like this.

	@echo off
	bash -c vim %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

- Barry
    Disclaimer:  Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NIAID.