Why do file permissions change after editing a file with vim?

avadekar@certicom.com avadekar@certicom.com
Wed Nov 14 06:58:00 GMT 2007

I see this with an ARM cross compiler that had to be set to run with admin
privileges (or else Vista would prevent it from running).  All my generated
objects were owned by me, but has zero for the permission mask.

So it could be that, or perhaps more likely, that you installed cygwin under a
different uid.