Vim: segmentation fault

Matt Wozniski godlygeek@gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 19:23:00 GMT 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 2:02 PM, Aldi Kraja wrote:
> Hi,
> Opening a file 1.5 GB cygwin Vim reports segmentation fault.
> Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV.
>
> Is there any way that one can expand the setting of Vim?
>
> I need to change the header of the file to some extent, but I do not
> think that emacs will do it. Less is a pager. Any other idea how to edit
> a file this large?

If it's only a header you need to edit, you do it the usual unix way...
for a 15000 line file, where the header is in the first 100 lines:

$ head -100 BIGFILE > filehead
$ tail -14900 BIGFILE > filetail
$ vim filehead
# modify...
$ cat filehead filetail > BIGFILE
$ rm filehead filetail

And, there's no reason that should crash vim.  Do you have the
1.5 GB of memory that you'd need to open that file?

~Matt