1.5.24-2: pthreads rwlock recursive acquisition failing

Gabriel Landau gabe@securityevaluators.com
Mon Oct 1 17:41:00 GMT 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to develop a program that uses pthreads and needs to
recursively acquire RO rwlocks and RW rwlocks.  I'm not upgrading or
trying to acquire an RO lock after an RW lock has been acquired, yet
pthread_rwlock_rdlock() keeps returning EDEADLK.  I have tested the
attached test program (includes at top modified slightly) on Ubuntu
Linux and it has no recursion problem.

I'm using Windows Vista (copied cygwin dir from a valid XP install), but
my friend can reproduce the problem on his Windows XP machine just as
reliably.

I've attached an application that demonstrates this bug.  You can build
it with: gcc -o cygwin-pthread-bug.exe cygwin-pthread-bug.c

Much less importantly, pthread_rwlockattr_setpshared(&lkattr,
PTHREAD_PROCESS_SHARED) is failing as well.  See the attached
cygwin-pthread-bug.c for details.

Please help!  Thanks for your time.

- Gabriel Landau