Sorry Resend: Cygwin For Vista Setup Postinstall post-textmf.sh With Cygcheck.out

Mon Oct 1 20:31:00 GMT 2007

Thomas Dineen wrote:
> Larry & All:
>
>     I installed the same Cygin SW release on my 2 GHZ single core
> Win 2000 desk top machine and it completed the "Running" part of the
> installation in a timely manor.
>
>     Is there a reason that it would take (possible hours) to complete
> on a new dual core 1.8 GHZ Laptop with Windows Vista? Maybe
> a laptop performance issue? Ram? Disk?

The above are always important if there's some significant difference
between them.  However, if your Vista machine doesn't finish in 150%
of the time of your W2K machine (IMO), then something is stopping it
up.  Have you tried turning off and/or uninstalling virus scanners
and anti-spyware programs?  Some of these are known to interfere.

>     Also is there a simple and quick method for removing the defective
> Cygin install? Currently I have a difficult time deleting the directories
> because of file sharing issues. Please note the last time I did this I
> had to stay up half the night.

File sharing issues?  Who's using the Cygwin files?  The installed
services perhaps?  Make sure you stop these.  Nothing else should be
using the files you installed.  If there are, that's a problem.  Track
them down and destroy them with Process Explorer from MS (formerly
sysinternals).

The general instructions for uninstalling are here:

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all>

>     Also is there a easy way of patching a hung install in the
> "Running" phase by running the install scripts by hand with a
> master install script from the shell? What is the name and directory
> path for the master install script?

All postinstall scripts are in '/etc/postinstall'.  If you're forced
to, you can kill the shell running the offending script and try rerunning
it after 'setup.exe' completes.  Any script that didn't complete will NOT
have the '.done' suffix appended.  Run those from a bash prompt.

> Thanks for the help. As I noted the Cygin on my Windows 2K
> machine works great.

Welcome to Vista. ;-)  Are you sure you're installing with Administrator
permissions?  Doing so puts you more on the same footing as when you install
on W2K/XP.

Holliston, MA 01746