Can cron cause computer to wake up from hibernate?

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue Oct 2 16:00:00 GMT 2007

Danilo Turina wrote:
> Some time ago, it happened to me that my PC came out of hibernate
> without no apparent reason.
>
> Initially I though that someone, accidentally, hit the keyboard
> causing the resume of the PC, but after disabling keyboard switch on,
> the problem persisted.
>
> I then discovered that my network card was configured to wake up the
> PC when receiving certain kind of packets. Disabling that feature did
> the job.
>
> Ciao,
>         Danilo
AFAICT that's not hibernation - that's sleep mode. There's a difference,
hence the different terms. Hibernation mode involves placing the current
contents of memory in swap and shutdown off, not down, the computer. It
requires that you push the power button to start the boot up sequence.
During boot up the computer notices that it was hibernating and says
*Resuming* Windows not *Starting* Windows. Main memory is then taken
from virtual memory and loaded into main memory and control is
transfered to the scheduler.

I use hibernate mode all the time. I once used it at work when we were
moving from one building to another. During that time the computer was
not even connected to the power source and indeed in a moving truck!
When at the new building I powered it on and it came back exactly to
where I had left it off prior to hibernating it.

I don't think that that is what happened to you, rather I think that you
were in sleep mode and the network card awoke your computer. Sleep mode
can be gotten out of without having to press the power button and is
nearly instantaneous.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Why is a man who invests all your money called a broker?