Can cron cause computer to wake up from hibernate?

Matthew Wozniski godlygeek@gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 14:41:00 GMT 2007

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 10:13:47PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Matthew Wozniski wrote:
>> Hibernation does involve swapping everything in memory to disk, freezing
>> the state of all processes, and powering down the system. But, the system
>> being powered down does not mean that no part of the system is receiving
>> power. In fact, Wake On LAN technology is designed to work on machines
>> that are completely shut down - the only caveat is that the motherboard
>> reserves power for the network card, and the network card scans for a
>> particular magic packet addressed to it. If that packet shows up, the
>> computer turns itself back on.
> This would be the first time that I've ever heard of this. Forgive me for
> saying but do you have a reference?
As Dave mentioned, you can find it easily enough in a search for
Wake On Lan.

>> So, not only can this bring a computer out of sleep or hibernation, it can
>> bring a computer out of a shutdown, too, as long as the device is still
>> plugged in.
> Exactly! How would it bring my dead computer out or hibernation when it's
> in a moving truck? Methinks you're still thinking of sleep mode, not
> hibernation.
It wouldn't, unless your computer was still plugged into both power
and ethernet on the moving van.  If it was, then it would, even if the
machine had been turned off, as long as you had WOL enabled.

~Matt