Debugging with cygwin tools

Alberto Luaces Fernández aluaces@udc.es
Thu Oct 4 18:26:00 GMT 2007

Dave Korn <dave.korn@artimi.com>:

> On 04 October 2007 16:15, René Berber wrote:
>
>> Alberto Luaces wrote:
>>
>>> I am just starting to learn how to use the debugging tools available in
>>> Cygwin. To do so, I have a test program deliberately designed to crash:
>>> [snip] I have compiled it with debugging information:
>>>
>>> g++ -g -O0 -o core core.cpp
>>>
>>> Then I try to run it with gdb:
>>>
>>> gdb core.exe
>>>
>>> (gdb) b main
>>> Breakpoint 1 at 0x401175: file core.cpp, line 4.
>>> (gdb) r
>>> Starting program: /home/Demostración/testsC++/core.exe
>>> Error: dll starting at 0x77d41000 not found.
>> --^^^^^
>> Isn't this clear?
>>
>> [snip]
>>> How can I finally debug my program?
>>
>> You probably have a problem with your PATH, take a look at it with `echo
>> $PATH`,
>
>   Hey, I think you don't really mean to use backtick quotes there... :)
>
>> it should include /usr/bin and /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32 or
>> similar if you renamed the root, it should NOT have syntax errors... which
>> is probably the cause of your problem.
>
>   Also, running "cygcheck core.exe" should show up any missing DLL straight
> away.

Dave, René,

thanks for the tips, I will check the PATH and look for missing DLLs
then, although my program is nothing more than a main function
dereferencing a null pointer, so it should not have any special
dependencies.

The missing DLL message was a bit misleading because gdb crashes after
printing it, so I thought it was an error message from gdb.exe and not
from my program.

Maybe the non 7-bit ASCII character found on my user name
(Demostración) is causing some issues with PATH, could I try to rename
my home directory directly or would I need to change something more?

At least I have now several things to try...

Alberto