Snit package in TCL/TK libraries

Jason Pearce jason.pearce@ieee.org
Tue Oct 9 22:34:00 GMT 2007

> On 10/9/07, Jason Pearce wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to install Perl's Tcl-Tk-0.97 package off CPAN
> > (http://search.cpan.org/~vkon/Tcl-Tk-0.97/ <http://search.cpan.org/%7Evkon/Tcl-Tk-0.97/>).
> > The Makefile.PL does a test for something called snit in the TCL libraires.
> > => it runs tclsh with a small script which does "package require snit".
> > This fails.
>
> Sometimes build scripts test for packages that aren't mandatory.  Are
> you sure that this is what is causing the build to fail?

Yes its needed.
I actually took out the check, installed the module and got the same
message at run time.
Change logs indicate that snit only made it into the distribution
recently, and only one or two functions seem to need it. If I don't use
them the fastest way to get going may be to remove that code, I at least
know what I am doing in Perl.
> > I am not a regular TCL/TK user so I don't really know what snit is.
> > Apparently its part of the standard Tcl library (according to
> > http://www.tcl.tk/starkits/ and searching for snit).
>
> It's misleading to call Tcllib the standard TCL library.  Tcllib is
> not included with TCL.  It must be downloaded and installed
> separately.
I see, that did confuse me.
I'll take a look for Tcllib sources and see how plausible it is to
compile for Cygwin. But I am new to the Tcl/Tk world so I don't know how
I will get on. Thanks.

Regards,
Jason