Where did man page for "rxvt" go ???

Paul McFerrin pmcferrin@columbus.rr.com
Thu Oct 18 04:29:00 GMT 2007

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Paul McFerrin wrote:
>

>> Okay.  How does one determine which base package rxvt is in so I can
>> reinstall it?  Is there some magical command in cygwin to do that for
>> you.  (lookup, not install)
>>

> Yes, cygcheck provides various ways to do this.  cygcheck -f searches
> installed packages for a given file, cygcheck -l lists the contents of
> an installed package, and cygcheck -p searches online for what package
> contains a given file pattern.  You can also "zgrep pat
> /etc/setup/*.lst.gz" for partial filename matches against installed
> packages as -f only works with absolute filenames.  But note this is
> only for installed packages.
>
> In the case of rxvt, there are currently two separate versions of rxvt
> in the distro: rxvt and rxvt-unicode.
>
> Plain rxvt is contained in just the package "rxvt" which includes the
> rxvt(1) manpage.  This version contains both the X11 and W11 (GDI)
> versions in one binary which autodetects the mode to use based on the
> setting of $DISPLAY, however this is essentially a dead-end package as
> this code base has been abandoned.
>
> The newer version is called rxvt-unicode or just urxvt and is split into
> two parts: rxvt-unicode-common and rxvt-unicode-X11.  The idea here is
> to eventually support separate W11 and X11 builds of urxvt, but
> currently only X11 is provided.  Also, the unicode in the name does not
> mean you can actually use unicode quite yet due to deficiencies in
> newlib/Cygwin.  At any rate, the -common package provides the manpages
> urxvt(1), urxvtc(1), urxvtd(1), and urxvt(7) corresponding with the
> commands of the same name.  Note that this uses the alternatives system
> to provide an unsuffixed alias that selects between the -X and -W11
> versions, except for the aforementioned fact that the -W11 binaries
> don't exist yet so for the time being urxvt == urxvt-X and so on.
>
> Brian

Very useful information Brian.  When I do a "cygcheck -p rxvt", I see
several packages containing a version of rxvt.  How ever for example:
    rxvt/rxvt-20050409-7    VT102 terminal emulator for both X and Windows
    rxvt-unicode-common/rxvt-unicode-common-7.7-6   An improved version
of rxvt ...
If when I do each of the following:
    cygcheck -l rxvt-20050409-7
    cygcheck -l rxvt
    cygcheck -l rxvt/rxvt-20050409-7
    cygcheck -l rxvt-unicode-common/rxvt-unicode-common-7.7-6
    cygcheck -l rxvt-unicode-common-7.7-6
    cygcheck -l rxvt-unicode-common

I get no output.  Am I specifying the package syntax correctly?

-paul