Problem with Cygwin Include Files

Tue Oct 23 08:49:00 GMT 2007

On Oct 22 17:59, Larry Adams wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The problem is that /usr/include/cygwin/icmp.h is blank and needs to be
> "non-blank".
>
> /usr/include/netinet/ip_icmp.h looks as follows:
>
> /* netinet/ip_icmp.h
>
>   Copyright 1998, 2001 Red Hat, Inc.
>
> This file is part of Cygwin.
>
> This software is a copyrighted work licensed under the terms of the
> Cygwin license.  Please consult the file "CYGWIN_LICENSE" for
> details. */
>
> #ifndef _NETINET_IP_ICMP_H
> #define _NETINET_IP_ICMP_H
>
> #include <cygwin/icmp.h>
>
> #endif /* _NETINET_IP_ICMP_H */
>
> However, it should include quite a bit more than that...

It doesn't contain anything for a couple of reasons.

- For ICMP you need raw sockets, but raw sockets were never really
  supported in Cygwin.
- Windows disallows non-admin users to use them which makes them
  somewhat less useful.
- There are not a lot of complaints about this fact so I assume
  not many people really need it.

And last but not least

- Nobody contributed any code so far.

  http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI