GCC compiler -m64 option in cygwin

Tim Prince tprince@computer.org
Wed Oct 31 13:18:00 GMT 2007

anik pal wrote:
> I have c source
> code of a product which I build in solaris environment
> with  gcc compiler –m64 option to create 64 bit
> executable in solaris 9 environment.
>
> Now IÂ’ve to do the same task for win environment,
> because the library available for my client is in
> windows environment and the library is 64 bit. I
> attempt to use cygwin for this job. Now my question
> are as follows
>

> 1 . using cygwin gcc compiler can I link my source
> code building with the win environment lib?
> 2. is gcc 64 bit option available in cygwin?

No, there is no 64-bit native support in cygwin. Even on linux, a
cross-gcc is needed to create 64-bit build on a 32-bit system, and none
of the required libraries or utilities are generally available as a
normal installation option. Of course, you can use cygwin as a build
environment when running non-cygwin 64-bit compilers.
A preliminary 64-bit mingw compiler has appeared, but it seems to have
difficulties linking with pre-existing libraries.

---AV & Spam Filtering by M+Guardian - Risk Free Email (TM)---