run-time problems with cygwin-1.5.24-2

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Sun Sep 2 19:02:00 GMT 2007

Todd Brunhoff schrieb:
> Problem: after installing cygwin-1.5.24-2, most things work but I've
> noticed a few things that don't work: perl and subversion (svn).
> Specifically, the programs do absolutely nothing... command line
> arguments are ignored, there is no output, and the commands appear to do
> nothing. There are no error messages, no entries in the event log, etc.
>
> Detailed background:
> I have used a cygwin for about 8-9 years for bridge development between
> linux and windows. I currently run 1.5.14 and have used it consistently
> for a year or more. I loaded 1.5.24-2 from three different sites, all
> with the same result, the latest being mirrors.xmission.com. In an
> effort to identify the installation problem, I simplified the
> installation to: default install for everything, then force install for
> development, system and vim. The installation runs fine, completes, and
> bash and my .bashrc and vim and a variety of things work. Perl does
> nothing and svn does nothing.
>
> In an effort to see what the problem might be, I focussed on perl
> (although interesting, this info may not be helpful):
> - I loaded source for perl 5.8.8, ran Configure, but the compile fails
> because of conflicting vsprintf declarations.

If you follow the directions of the README and download the src package
you would be able to build your perl.
A Policy file helps and the correct Configure line is required.

> - I loaded source for perl 5.6.2, ran Configure, with a few less errors,
> but still failure in the compile. I fixed the compile by modifying
> config.h (to say that I had vsprintf, which indeed the environment
> does), and the compile works, but the make fails later with an
> unsupported call to opendir.
> - I switched back to cygwin 1.5.14, and for grins, tried the build for
> both perl 5.8.8 and 5.6.2... both worked fine.
>
> Perhaps the cygwin dll is in transition... Please help.

An error report would be nice. See http://cygwin.com/problems.html
"Run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out and include that file as an
attachment in your report. Please do not compress or otherwise encode
the output. Just attach it as a straight text file so that it can be
easily viewed."

Running cygcheck /bin/perl usually finds the culprit.

I had this symptom "perl doing nothing" with an empty PATH. Or /bin not
in the PATH.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/  http://murbreak.at/