cygwin-1.5.24-2 serious shell execution performance degradation on WinXP x64 SP2

Szymon Lapinski gandalf@syncad.com
Mon Sep 3 12:15:00 GMT 2007

Recently I found a serious performance degradation in my gawk scripts
while running on WinXP x64 SP2, it appears that this is not only gawk
problem, but spawning child processes in a subshell at all.

I'm not sure if this was caused by SP2 or by some of following Windows
updates but it used to work well before SP2, and still works well on
Windows 2000.

In my gawk scripts I'm doing a lot of system() - spawning subshells to
run commands like 'mv' or 'test -d'.

How to reproduce this problem:

time gawk 'BEGIN{for(i=1;i<1000;i++){system("true")}}'
time for i in `seq 1 1000`; do bash -c true; done

Each of above commands used to end in under 30 seconds.
Now on WinXP x64 SP2 it runs much more than 2 minutes.

'cygcheck -s -v -r' output included in attachment

--
Regards,
Szymon Lapinski