cygwin-1.5.24-2 serious shell execution performance degradation on WinXP x64 SP2

Szymon Lapinski gandalf@syncad.com
Thu Sep 6 19:01:00 GMT 2007

Szymon Lapinski wrote:

> I'm not sure if this was caused by SP2 or by some of following Windows
> updates but it used to work well before SP2, and still works well on
> Windows 2000.
(...)
 > time gawk 'BEGIN{for(i=1;i<1000;i++){system("true")}}'
 > time for i in `seq 1 1000`; do bash -c true; done

I've decided to uninstall Service Pack 2 on one of my WinXP x64 machines
Scripts runs approximately 3 times faster. It's still far from ideal
(comparing to 32bit Windows 2000 performance) but it's a BIG difference.

--
Regards,
Szymon Lapinski