rsync over ssh hang issue understood *Revisited*

Jonathan Hurd texasjhurd@yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 14:57:00 GMT 2007

Sorry to bring back this old thread back. Is there anyone that can
explain a fix for this problem. I've only been using rsync/cygwin/on ssh
for about 3 weeks, so please explain in dummy terms.

It's the exact same problem mentioned here:

------
----- Original Message ----- From: "René Berber"
Steven Hartland wrote:
Just to back this up, we cant get basic rsync to run reliably
using cygwin either. The command being tested is run from a
FreeBSD box with the source being a cygwin box using cygwin
1.5.19-4:
rsync -av cygwin1:/testdir/ /testdir/

The result is it will randomly hang on a file, no output / error
returned just stops.

[snip]
tcsh                    6.14.00-5          OK

While testing is csh involved?

Your description above is very close to a problem with cvs reported and
solved
recently by Jay Abel.  In short, tcsh at the receiving end is changing
\r\n to
\n inside binary files, so the receiving process waits for the expected
bytes
but it receives less.

tcsh is the default shell on FreeBSD which is the "recieving"
end in this test yes but I'm a little confused how the shell
could effect the results of rsync? FreeBSD to FreeBSD for FreeBSD
to Windows SFU doesnt have this issue so something specific to
tcsh on cygwin?

An example of this failure is:
[log]
rsync -av --progress cygwin1:/testdir/ /testdir/
receiving file list ...
1705 files to consider
created directory testdir
/
bf2_w32ded.exe
           0   0%    0.00kB/s    0:00:00
***Hung here***
^CKilled by signal 2.0.00kB/s    0:00:00
rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at
rsync.c(242) [receiver]
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at rsync.c(242) [generator]
[/log]
-----