setup.exe suggestion + patch

Lewis Hyatt lhyatt@princeton.edu
Thu Sep 13 18:49:00 GMT 2007

Igor Peshansky wrote:

> Third, I have to apologize -- I've had a partial reply to your message
> sitting in my drafts since the day you sent it, but got bogged down.

OK, I understand of course, I just wanted to check. Thanks for getting
back to me Igor and Dave!

> A few comments on the patch:
> 1) It would be great if you used "diff -up" -- unified diffs are so much
> easier to read.

I attached the output of cvs diff -up. I also attached the two new files
PopupMenu.{cc,h}, which I didn't realize were not included in the diff
already.

> 2) Is there a reason you use popup menus, rather than pull-down lists?

I think pull-down lists would probably be nicer and more intuitive.
Adding this is a much larger change, though, because you have to change
the PickLine classes to paint the controls, and you have to modify the
window procedures, etc. I can do all that, but wanted to gauge interest
first. The drop-down menu way only takes a couple lines, and doesn't
require dealing with the window procedure, so I thought it was a good
way to start anyway. Note that my implementation of
packagemeta::select_action(), which builds the menu, is also admittedly
pretty quick and dirty. It's clear how to improve it, but it works fine
the way it is and re-uses the already-debugged packagemeta::set_action()
code.

-Lewis