Whither /dev/null ?

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Sat Sep 15 21:17:00 GMT 2007

Andrew Louie schrieb:
>> Did you check the Cygwin User's Guide?
>> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html
>>
>> It sort of explains it.
>>
>> -Jason
>>

> I wonder if this problem I'm having with postgresql is related:
>
> $initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "louiea".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.
>
> fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/local/pgsql/data ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/global ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_subtrans ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_tblspc ... ok
> selecting default max_connections ... sh: line 1:  3612 Bad system
> call         "/usr/sbin/postgres.exe" -boot -x0 -F -c
> shared_buffers=500 -c max_connections=100 template1 < "/dev/null" >
> "/dev/null" 2>&1
>
> I wonder if the Bad system call is due to trying to read/write to /dev/null.

No, the bad system call is due to a missing IPC dameon. You must run
cygserver.

In the postgresql cygwin README is a longer explanation and
the postgresql package for cygwin contains a /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql
starter script which would have detected this.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/  http://murbreak.at/