occasional problem: .bash_profile permission denied

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 20 15:21:00 GMT 2007

Ronald Fischer wrote:
> I configured my system so that it automatically starts Cygwin
> during boot time via the Windows autostart feature, by using
> startxwin and Cygwin/X to start several xterm and rxvt terminals,
> and also to start one bash shell in plain Cygwin (outside X).
>
> Occasionally, one or two of the shells started that way complain
>
>   bash: /cygdrive/h/.bash_profile: Permission denied
> [snip]
> My first idea was that perhaps that it could be a race condition between
> Windows starting the Autostart applications and mounting the network
> drives, because my $HOME is on a network drive. But this would not
> explain the  following: When I start several xterm's from my
> startxwin.bat, it happens sometimes that the "permission denied"
> error occurs on one of the terminals started *later*, while the
> earlier started ones don't have this problem.

I'm not sure that means anything, since it could happen that you start
one xterm, it gets preempted to run your .bat, which starts another
xterm that tries to read the not-yet-mounted home drive, and then the
drive is mounted and the first xterm gets scheduled again.

Does adding a sleep to your .bat help?

--
Matthew
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information