Cygwin Installation Problems on Windows Vista (gnuplot.sh, texhash and ".bashrc: Bad address")

lent chrislent@gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 10:22:00 GMT 2007

lent wrote:

> Hi,

>>Please point out if I'm wrong or misinformed...

>>I'm trying to trace down the Vista cygwin setup.exe
/etc/postinstall/gnuplot.sh "hang forever at 99%" problem.

Well, I think I was wrong about pointing fingers at "install-info".  The
install-info was a guess and hunting a bit more we find this lovely weblog:

http://conorcahill.blogspot.com/2007/07/cygwin-on-microsoft-vista.html
Conor's Web Log of Esoterica: Cygwin on Microsoft Vista"

In particular: Emphasis added

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

http://conorcahill.blogspot.com/2007/07/cygwin-on-microsoft-vista.html
Cygwin on Microsoft Vista

I've run into a few problems using  http://www.cygwin.com Cygwin  on
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/ Microsoft Vista  on
my new laptop:

The installation hung during the post-install step
"/etc/postinstall/gnuplot.sh".
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cygwin+postinstall+hang+gnuplot&btnG=Google+Search
Researching this problem on the google  found an
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-04/msg00753.html article on the cygwin
mailing list  which worked around the problem by setting the Windows XP
compatibility mode on the installation executable.  I wasn't comfortable
with this solution as it might cause things to not work well later on Vista.
So I poked around a bit, turned on the "Command Line" output for the
"Processes" tab in the Windows Task Manager and found that the script was
hanging on "/usr/bin/texhash", which rebuilds a directory listing used by
Tex.  I was able to run the command successfully on the cygwin command line,
but it was still hung in the installation process.  So I used Task Manager
to kill the texhash process and the installation continued to a later step
"postinstall-ec-fonts-mftraced.sh" where it was trying to run "mktexlsr" -
which is the same program.  I again used Task Manager to kill that process
and the installation now went on to a succesfull completion.

Following the install, I went back and ran the texhash program manually,
which did require me to change the mode of the files "/var/cache/fonts/ls-R"
and "/usr/share/texmf/ls-R" files which had been left read-only when I
killed the process.

Everything seems to be working fine now.

This description matches, and I believe we also saw the
"postinsall-ec-fonts-mftraced.sh" failure as well.

Wish I had remember the "Command Line" option. Darn!

Well, so perhaps the culprit is texhash.
 Or maybe the victim, as I saw another weird thing with this particular
install.

I had access to the user's machine again and found in /var/log a number of
files.

$ find .
.
./var
./var/log
./var/log/apache2
./var/log/setup.log
./var/log/setup.log.full
./var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa01604
./var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa04116
./var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa04144
./var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa04492
./var/log/setup.log.postinstallXa04892

Looking through these we see quite a few messages of the form:

/usr/bin/bash: /cygdrive/c/Users/srtg9/.bashrc: Bad address

From: /var/log/setup.log.full (starting at line 3239)

2007/09/19 11:15:15 xemacs-mule-sumo
2007/09/19 11:15:15 xemacs-sumo
2007/09/19 11:15:15 xemacs-tags
2007/09/19 11:15:15 xerces-c-devel
2007/09/19 11:15:15 XmHTML
2007/09/19 11:15:15 xpm-nox
2007/09/19 11:15:16 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/gnuplot.
sh
/usr/bin/bash: /cygdrive/c/Users/srtg9/.bashrc: Bad address
2007/09/19 11:26:55 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/gsl.sh
/usr/bin/bash: /cygdrive/c/Users/srtg9/.bashrc: Bad address
install-info: menu item `gsl-ref' already exists, for file `gsl-ref'
install-info: menu item `gsl-ref' already exists, for file `gsl-ref'
install-info: menu item `gsl-ref' already exists, for file `gsl-ref'
install-info: menu item `gsl-ref' already exists, for file `gsl-ref'
install-info: menu item `gsl-ref' already exists, for file `gsl-ref'
install-info: menu item `gsl-ref' already exists, for file `gsl-ref'
2007/09/19 11:27:00 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/gtk+-devel.sh
/usr/bin/bash: /cygdrive/c/Users/srtg9/.bashrc: Bad address

I am guessing Bad address would result from trying to execve() a .bashrc and
getting an EFAULT. The EFAULT seems come from some problem loading the
.bashrc (or perhaps the ".bashrc" filename in an execve() call?).

Rather odd :-)

Chris "still guessing" Lent